Strawberry Italian Ice
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp finely shredded orange peel
- 2 tsp finely shredded lemon peel
- 1-1/2 tsp finely shredded lime peel
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 4 cups fresh strawberries
1. In a medium saucepan combine sugar, water, the orang, lemon, and lime peel. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes. Cool slightly. Strain and discard peels. Stir in orange, lemon, and lime juice.
2. In a blender or food processor combine half of the juice micture and 2 cups of the strawberries. Cover and blend or process with several on/off turns or until nearly smooth (leave some small chunks of strawberries). Transfer strawberry mixture to a 2 quart freezer container. Repeat with the remaining juice mixture and strawberries. Cover and freeze for 6 hours or overnight, stirring once after freezing for 3 hours.
3. Let stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes or until soft enough to scrape. TO serve, scrape across the frozen mixture with a large spoon. Transfer into 8 chilled servin dishes.