- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- 1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb. dry spaghetti, fettucine or linguine
- A few basil leaves
- 1/4 cup grated Grana Padano (or any hard Italian cheese)
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until golden brown, 2 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes. Simmer over very low heat for 30 minutes, adding water by the 1/4 cup to keep sauce from becoming too thick. (You can use leftover pasta water.)
3. Season with salt and pepper and reserve.
4. Cook pasta in large pot of heavily salted boiling water according to package directions; reserve 1 cup pasta cooking water.
5. Add pasta to reserved tomato sauce in saucepan and finishing cooking pasta, 2 to 3 minutes, adding 1/4 pasta water to moisten if necessary.
6. Divide among 4 plates and garnish with basil leaves and grated cheese.