Spicy Black Bean Soup
4 points per servings
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 medium onion(s), finely chopped
- 4 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced
- 45 oz canned black beans, undrained, divided (three 15 oz cans)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 tsp Durkee Ground Cumin Seed, or other brand
- 14 1/2 oz fat-free chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 10 oz canned tomatoes with green chilis, such as Rotel Tomatoes
- 11 oz canned yellow corn, drained
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 50mins
Coat bottom of a large stockpot with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.
Place one can of beans in blender; add sautéed onion mixture, red pepper flakes and cumin. Cover and blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds. Pour mixture back into stockpot.
Place second can of beans and broth in blender and puree until smooth; add to stockpot.
Stir third can of beans (do not puree first), tomatoes and green chilies, and corn into stockpot. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Yields about 1 1/2 cups of soup per serving.