Martha Stewart's Spicy Sauteed Green Beans
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds green beans, ends trimmed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallot (2 medium shallots)
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
1. Prepare an ice-water bath. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Working in batches, add green beans, and cook until bright green and tender, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer green beans to ice-water bath until well chilled, then drain and pat dry. (Blanched green beans will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 1 day.)
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and red-pepper flakes, and cook until shallots are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add green beans, tossing to coat, and cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.