Hot and Spicy
- 4 chicken breast halves
- 1/2 lb. fully cooked smoked sausage, sliced into coins
- 1/2 lb.shrimp, peeled deveined
- 1/3 c. cooking oil
- 1 lg. white onion, chopped
- 1 lg. bell pepper, chopped
- 6 lg. cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3-14 1/2 oz. cans chicken broth
- 3 c. Uncle Ben's long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 bunch green onions,chopped
- 2-14 1/2 oz. cans chopped tomatoes
- 1-2 tbsp. tabasco sauce or Louisiana hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
In a large saucepan or pot, boil the chicken breasts for about an hour until they're tender and the meat comes off the bone easily. Remove from water, set aside to cool. In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, begin cooking the chopped onion, bell pepper and garlic in the cooking oil on medium-to-low heat. While cooking, add the seasoning salt, black pepper, red pepper and Tabasco sauce and stir to mix evenly. This step will fill your kitchen with a terrific smell!
When tender but not browned, add the rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer. While rice is cooking, remove the skin from the chicken, debone and tear the meat into chunks. When the rice has absorbed 1/2 - 3/4 of the broth, add the chicken, sausage, shrimp, green onions and tomatoes into the pot and mix it all up evenly. Note: Don't drain the tomatoes - use the juice and all.
Cover and simmer until the rice is fully cooked, the shrimp is pink and cooked, and the meat is hot. Serve with buttered French bread and additional Tabasco sauce on the table.