- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a food processor, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and sugar to blend. Pulse in the zest, then cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Whisk together the lemon juice, egg yolk, and vanilla and then pour it into the flour mixture with the motor running, just until a dough forms.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead just until the dough comes together. Shape into a 9- or 10-inch log, wrap in plastic and chill for at least 2 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
5. Remove the dough from the plastic wrap and slice into rounds about 1/4-inch thick. Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake until slightly browned, about 12 to 14 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.