CHOCOLATE MOUSSE (Top Secret)
Prep. Time: 25 minutes
Total: 4 hours - 25 minutes (includes chilling time)
For years, Dorie tried to learn the secret to her French friends incredible chocolate mousse. She finally discovered that they were all using a recipe from the back of a Nestle chocolate bar. It couldn't be simpler -or more wonderful.
- 3 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate (do not exceed 61% cacao), chopped
- 3 large eggs (preferably organic), seperated, room temperature (see Food Safety Note)
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
- FOOD SAFETY NOTE: Raw egg is not recommended for infants, the elderly, pregnant women, and people with weakened immune systems. To avoid the risk of salmonella infection, use pasteurized egg yolk.
Place chocolate in medium metal bowl. Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water and stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove bowl from over water. Add egg yolks to melted chocolate and whisk until smooth. Using electric mixer, beat egg whites and pinch of salt in another medium bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, beating constantly until whites are glossy and medium-firm peaks form. Using silicone or rubber spatula, fold 1/4 of beaten whites into chocolate mixture to lighten. Gently fold remaining whites into chocolate mixture just until incorporated (do not overmix or mixture may deflate).
Divide mousse among 4 bowls. Cover and chill until set, about 4 hours. DO AHEAD - Can be made 1 day ahead. KEEP CHILLED.
Beat cream and 1 teaspoon sugar in another medium bowl until peaks form. Spoon whipped cream atop mousse.