Chocolate Turtle Cake
Enjoy a chocolate turtle cake straight out the oven. Warm is the best way to have them!
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix without pudding
- 14 ounces individually wrapped caramels
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
Adapted from facebook.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit Lightly grease one 9x13 inch pan.
Prepare cake mix according to package directions and pour 1/2 of the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
In a saucepan melt caramels, 3/4 cup of the butter or margarine, and evaporated milk, pour over baked cake. Sprinkle chocolate chips and chopped pecans over caramel mixture. Pour remaining cake batter on top and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cool and frost.
Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter or margarine and the unsweetened chocolate together.
Remove from heat and add the corn syrup, vanilla, confectioner's sugar, and milk, mix well and use to frost cooled cake.