Pork with Paprika, Mushrooms, and Sour Cream
This recipe works very well with cut up pork chops, or pork tenderloin (even better). Pork is seared with Paprika, browned mushrooms, and finally a quick sauce of more Paprika, tomatoes, thyme, caraway seeds, and chicken stock is quickly simmered. The big "TA-DA" is a cup of sour cream-- served over egg noodles, this makes a very fast and delicious...sort of a quick Hungarian-style comfort food. Thanks "Kalyn's Kitchen" for sharing this recipe on your blog.
- 1 lb. pork loin, fat trimmed and cut into cubes about 1 inch square (I used 4 thick pork loin chops)
- 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp. sweet paprika (use Hungarian or Spanish paprika in a tin for best flavor)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper for seasoning pork
- 2-3 Tbsp. olive oil (depending on your pan)
- 8-12 oz. cremini or white mushrooms, washed and cut into thick slices
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste (my adaptation)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 T finely minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried caraway seeds, ground or crushed (optional, but good)*NOTE: I used the seeds whole
- 1 can petite dice tomatoes plus juice
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (I used my homemade chicken stock)
- 2/3 cup light sour cream
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Trim all visible fat from pork chops or pork loin roast, then cut meat into cubes about 1 inch square. Put pork in a bowl and toss with 1 T sweet paprika, salt, and fresh ground black pepper.
Heat 1 T olive oil in a heavy frying pan with a tight-fitting lid. Brown pork over medium-high heat, turning several times so all sides are nicely browned, about 5-6 minutes.
Remove pork to another dish and add 1 T more olive oil to the pan, add sliced mushrooms and cook until nicely browned and all liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes more. Remove mushrooms to same dish with the pork.
Add a little more olive oil if needed, then add chopped onion and cook until just starting to brown, about 3-5 minutes. Then add minced garlic, tomato paste, other 1 T paprika, dried thyme, and ground or crushed caraway seeds (if using) and cook about 1-2 minutes.
Add petite diced tomatoes with juice and chicken stock, bring to a simmer, and cook about 10 minutes, or until the mixture is slightly thickened and flavors are well-blended.
After 10 minutes add the browned pork cubes and mushrooms back into the pan, cover and simmer about 10 minutes more, or until pork is hot and cooked through. Turn off heat, stir in sour cream, and serve hot.
This can be served over rice or noodles, or as by itself. If you're making more than will be eaten at once I would add the sour cream to only the amount you're going to eat; then reheat leftovers and add sour cream to them right before eating.
You'll also love
- Peach & Walnut Oatmeal Pancakes... 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Sausage Bread 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Pumpkin Bars 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting 4.4/5 (29 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Turkey Breast with... 4.4/5 (30 Votes)
- Praline fudge 4.4/5 (29 Votes)
- Lemon Cream Crepes 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Chicken with Roasted Coriander in... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)