Sage, Sausage & Apple Dressing
Delicious savory dressing with a touch of sweetness from the apples. This recipe for stuffing will be one of your favorites. Don't just save it for Thanksgiving!
- 1 (16-ounce) bag bread stuffing croutons
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the pan and topping
- 1 pound fresh sage sausage, casing removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cooking apples, such as Gravenstein, Rome, or Golden Delicious, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 to 2 ribs celery with leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 2 eggs, beaten
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 80mins
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Put the stuffing croutons in a large bowl and set aside. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish.
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and break up with a wooden spoon. Cook until it loses most of its pink color, but not so much that it's dry, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage and pan drippings to the stuffing cubes. Melt the remaining butter in the pan. Add the onion, apple, celery, and salt. Cook until the vegetables get soft, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and parsley and bring to a boil.
Pour the vegetable mixture over the bread croutons and toss until evenly moistened. Mix in the walnuts and eggs. Loosely pack the dressing in the prepared pan and cook uncovered until the top forms a crust, about 40 minutes. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of turkey pan drippings or melted butter over the top. Cook until the top is crisp and golden, about 20 minutes more. Set immediately or warm.
You'll also love
- Chick: Mexican: Guatemalan... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Blackberry Fruit Jellies 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Nirvana Lemonade 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Pineapple Orange Cake 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Stuffed Pork Chops with Mushrooms... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Pineapple Sheet Cake 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Thick Sweet Teriyaki Sauce 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Wasabi and Panko-Crusted Pork with... 5/5 (1 Votes)