Spiced Pumpkin Bread-Lighter and healthier
- Makes 1 loaf:
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 85mins
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray an 8" x 4" x 2" loaf pan with no-stick spray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. Add the egg whites, pumpkin, buttermilk, applesauce, and molasses.
3. Use an electric mixer to beat on low speed just until blended, then beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Stir in walnuts.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 55-65 minutes, cool bread in the pan for 10 minutes. Then cool completely on a rack.