- 1 1/2 pounds beef flank steak
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel (chopped tomatoes and green chiles)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 small green, red or yellow bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco or low-fat feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
Trim fat from meat. Place in a 3-1/2 or 4 quart crockpot.
In a bowl, stir together undrained tomatoes, onion, garlic, oregano, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Pour over meat. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours or on HIGH for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours. If using low heat setting, after allotted time, turn to HIGH and add pepper strips, pinto beans and cilantro. Cover and cook 30 minutes more.
Remove meat. Cool slightly. Shred or thinly slice meat across the grain.
To serve, spoon hot rice into soup bowls. Arrange meat on top of rice. Spoon bean mixture over meat. If desired, sprinkle with crumbled cheese.
Serve with cut limes, cilantro and chopped avocado.