country italian beef
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- 8 ounces tiny new potatoes, halved or quartered
- 2 medium carrots or parsnips, peeled and cut into 1- to 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 14-ounce can beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 cups basil leaves, spinach leaves, or torn fresh escarole
1. Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 2-inch pieces. Set aside.
2. In a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, combine potatoes, carrots or parsnips, onion, and fennel. Add meat; sprinkle with rosemary.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, wine, tomato paste, tapioca, pepper, and garlic. Pour over mixture in cooker.
4. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Just before serving, stir in basil. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Calories336, Total Fat (g)6, Saturated Fat (g)2, Cholesterol (mg)89, Sodium (mg)647, Carbohydrate (g)28, Fiber (g)10, Protein (g)36, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet