- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup ground pecans, plus more for garnish
- 1/3 sugar
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Dried Fruit Compote
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Maple syrup, for serving, optional
In a mixing bowl combine flour, ground pecans, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl beat the eggs and vanilla slightly. Whisk the milk and butter into the egg mixture. Whisk the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Stir until combined yet still slightly lumpy. Pour 3/4 cup batter onto grids of a preheated, lightly greased waffle iron. Close lid quickly: do not open during baking. Bake according to the manufacturer's directions for the waffle iron, until golden brown and lightly crisp, about 5 to 5 1/2 minutes.
Serve hot waffles with Dried Fruit Compote, whipped cream, and if desired, maple syrup. Garnish with extra ground pecans.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings, 10 to 12 (4-inch) waffles