Beans and Greens ala Umberto's
A delicious starter dish of cooked greens and cannelloni beans.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pinched pepper flakes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini (white) beans, drained do not rinse
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 anchovy filet (you could just use salt)
- 1 head escarole, chopped or kale or spinach
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinched pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
1. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring, until bubbling and sizzling, about 20 seconds. Pour in chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cook until liquid is reduced by half, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in red pepper flakes. I like to add ½ elbow macaroni. Cook macaroni as directed until its almost done drain and add to mix when you add the chicken broth
2. Stir in beans; bring to a boil and cook until you can see the tops of the beans just below the surface of the liquid, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in oregano, lemon zest, and anchovy filet. Simmer for 3 minutes.
3. Place escarole in bean mixture; reduce heat to low and stir until escarole wilts, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste; garnish with red pepper flakes and extra virgin olive oil.