Serran Shrimp Poppers
This recipe can easily be doubled and prepared quickly in assembly-line fashion for the perfect appetizer to serve a crowd.
Serving Size: 3 shrimp
Calories: 320; Total Fat: 12 g; Cholesterol: 115 mg; Carbs: 40 g; Protein: 16 g; Sodium: 850 mg; Fiber: 1 g
- 12 large uncooked shrimp (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 ¼ tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt, divided
- 1-2 tbsp seeded and finely chopped serrano peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 1/2 1 ½ cups corn flake cereal, finely crushed
- 1/2 ½ tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Vegetable oil
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Using the tip of a knife, make a lengthwise cut along the back of each shrimp, not cutting all the way through. Ease open with fingers.
2. Combine the cream cheese and ¼ tsp of the salt in small bowl. Add Serrano peppers and garlic; mix until well blended. Fill decorator with cream cheese mixture, and pipe down the center of each shrimp. Fold shrimp over to return to original shape.
3. Slice strawberries and add with blueberries and raspberries to sugar mixture; mix gently to coat fruit.
4. Combine corn flake cereal, paprika, cayenne pepper and remaining 1/8 tsp salt in shallow dish. Holding shrimp by the tail end, dredge shrimp lightly in flour, shaking off excess; dip into beaten egg and then into cereal mixture, coating evenly. Arrange in a single layer on a medium bar pan. Lightly spray shrimp with oil. Bake 16-17 mins or just until shrimp is cooked through.