Mango & Raspberry Semifreddo
The tropical flavours of this frozen mousse make it a perfect finale to an exotic dinner—and it can be made up to three days in advance for low-stress entertaining. Serve semifreddo with a small quantity of fruit salad for a beautiful presentation. If you can find the yellow Atulfo mangos, they have a superior flavour and texture.
- 1⁄3 cup (75 mL) sweetened flaked
- or shredded coconut
- 3 ripe mangoes (about 2 lbs/1 kg),
- peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup (250 mL) whipping cream
- 1 cup (250 mL) raspberries
1. Oil a 5 cup (1.25 L) loaf pan and line with a smooth layer of plastic wrap.
2. Put coconut in a dry frying pan and toast, stirring, over medium heat for 3 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool, and sprinkle into an even layer in the prepared pan.
3. Place mangoes and lemon juice in the blender, and purée until smooth. Set aside.
4. Place 1 inch (2.5 cm) of water in the bottom of a double boiler or large pot, and bring to a simmer. Combine sugar and egg yolks in the top section of the double boiler or a metal mixing bowl, and place over simmering water. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat sugar and eggs for 5 minutes or until mixture is very thick and pale yellow, doubled in volume and hot but not boiling (about 140°F/60°C on a candy thermometer). Remove egg mixture from heat, add puréed mangoes, and beat for 1 minute longer or until well combined and cool.
5. Place whipping cream in another mixing bowl and beat to soft peaks. Fold whipped cream into mango mixture. Fold in raspberries.
6. Spoon mango mixture over toasted coconut in prepared loaf pan. Cover pan with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 4 hours or up to 3 days ahead of serving.
7. When ready to serve, dip base of pan into warm water to help loosen the semifreddo from the pan. Remove top layer of plastic wrap, and pull on the plastic lining the sides of the pan to loosen. Invert semifreddo onto a serving plate, and peel off remaining plastic. Use a knife warmed in hot water to cut semifreddo into slices for serving
You'll also love
- Classic Pasta Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spring Chicken-Tortellini Casserole 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Rhubarb Streusel Coffee Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spinach-Pesto Ravioli 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Bananas Foster 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mango & Macadamia Tea Loaf 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cranberry-Walnut Braid 0/5 (0 Votes)
- RASPBERRY RUGELACH 0/5 (0 Votes)