Perfecting Roast Chicken
- 2 Tbls softened, unsalted butter
- 5 garlic cloves, 1 minced
- 1/2 tsp minced rosemary + sprigs
- 1/2 tsp minced thyme + sprigs
- 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 4 lb chicken - room temperature
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 lemon cut into 8 rounds
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or broth
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 31mins
1. Preheat oven to 425 and put rack in lower third of the oven. In a bowl, mix butter, minced garlic, minced herbs and lemon zest. season with salt & pepper.
2. Pat the chicken dry. Rub half of the herb butter under the skin and the rest over the chicken. season with salt & pepper.
3. Set the chicken breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan (if you do not have a rack just put chicken in roasting pan). scatter the onions, lemon, garlic cloves and herb sprigs and add 1/2 cup water. Roast for 30 minutes. Turn the chicken and roast for 20 min. instant read thermometer reads 175 - 180 or juices run clear when punctured.
5. Remove bird from pan. Set the pan over high heat. Add the stock and cook, scraping up all the browned pieces. Press the lemons to release juice.
6. Carve & serve.
Moroccan Roast Chicken:
To the Butter, add 1 tsp ground cumin, coriander and sweet paprika, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper and cinnamon. To the roasting pan add 12 pitted dates, 12 dried apricots, 4 garlic cloves and 1 quartered onion.
Ginger Roasted Chicken:
To the butter, add 1 minced garlic clove, 1 tbls grated ginger. To the roasting pan, add 12 thin ginger slices, 4 garlic cloves, 2 seeded and thinley sliced serrano chilies. 1 quartered onion and 1 quartered lime. Stir in 1 tbls Asian fish sauce before serving.
Curry Roasted Chicken:
To the butter add, 1 minced garlic clove and 1 tsp curry powder. To the roasting pan add 4 garlic cloves, 2 cups seeded diced tomatoes, 2 seeded thinly sliced serrano chilies and 1 quartered onion. Stir in 2 tbls greek style yogurt just before serving.