Winter Greens and Potato Casserole
Servings: 8 servings
Earthy kale, mustard greens, and potatoes make this hearty dish a comfort on a cold winter night. Provolone cheese is not typically used in an Appalachian dish, but we enjoyed its pronounced flavor. Use any kind of cheese you like.
- 8 * 8 cups water
- 12 * 12 cups chopped kale, stems removed (about 1/2 pound)
- 12 * 12 cups chopped mustard greens, stems removed (about 1/2 pound)
- 6 * 6 cups (1/8-inch-thick) slices red potatoes (about 2 pounds), divided
- * Cooking spray
- 2 * 2 cups vertically sliced onion, divided
- 3/4 * 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 * 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp provolone cheese, divided
- 1/2 * 1/2 cup canned vegetable broth
Preheat oven to 350°. Bring water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add kale and mustard greens, and cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Drain; set aside. Arrange 2 cups potato slices in a single layer in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with 1 cup onion. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt; top with half of kale mixture. Sprinkle kale mixture with 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers once, ending with the kale mixture. Top kale mixture with remaining 2 cups potatoes, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Pour broth evenly over potato mixture, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover with foil. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 minutes or until lightly browned and potatoes are tender.