A small recipe... so double!!!
- Optional Additions:
- 4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 slice onion
- 2 whole garlic cloves crushed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons white sugar, or to taste
- 1/2 cup milk or half and half
- 2 (28 oz) cans of San Marzano Italian Peeled Tomatoes
- recipe called for 4 cloves or 1/4 tsp
- You can use a pinch of instant potatoes for thickener over the roux.
In a stockpot, over medium heat, combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and gently boil for about 20 minutes to blend all of the flavors. ***Option is to saute garlic and onion before broth and tomatoes.
Remove from heat and run the mixture through a food mill into a large bowl, or pan. Discard any stuff left over in the food mill.
In the now empty stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour to make a roux, cooking until the roux is a medium brown. Gradually whisk in a bit of the tomato mixture, so that no lumps form, then stir in the rest. Season with sugar and salt, and adjust to taste.