Carmelized Onion, Radicchio, and Goat Cheese Pizzettes:
- 1 * 1 pound red onions, thinly sliced (4 cups)
- 3 * 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 * 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 * 1/2 pound radicchio, chopped (3 1/2 cups)
- * Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 * 3 ounces soft mild goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 * 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
In a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, cook onions in oil, stirring frequently, until deep golden, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar, radicchio, and salt and pepper, to taste.
Top uncooked pizza dough with onion mixture, goat cheese and thyme, leaving a 3/4-inch border.
Pizza with Stuffed Crust: Roll out pizza. Pipe ricotta around the edge of the round and fold the edges over. Or, cut mozzarella into logs and place on the edges of the round and fold over the edges. Top with desired toppings and bake as above.
* Calzone: Roll out dough balls to about 9-inch rounds. Place fillings over half of each round. Fold plain dough half over filling, forming half circles. Pinch edges together to seal. Transfer to baking sheet. Cut 3 slits in top to let steam escape. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes