Ham and Cheese in Puff Pastry
Ina Garten- Barefoot Contessa
- 2 sheets frozen and defrosted puff pastry sheets (Pepperidge Farm)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 pound black forest sliced ham use a bit more
- 1/2 pound swiss gruyÈre cheese thin so will melt
- 1 egg beaten with 1T water for wash
Preheat oven to 450. Line pan with parchment paper.
Lay 1 sheet of puff pastry on floured board and carefully roll it out to 10-12 inches. Place it on a sheet pan and brush with mustard, leaving a 1 inch border around the outside. Place a layer of ham and then cheese, also leaving edge free. Brush the border with egg wash.
Place second sheet of puff pastry on the board and rool it to 10-12 inches. Place the second sheet on top of the filled sheet, lining up the edges. CUt the edges straight with a knife and press together slightly. Brush the top with egg wash and cut a few slits in top to allow for steam to escape. Crimp edges with fork to hold together.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until pastry is golden brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes and serve hot or warm.