Easy Cranberry and Apple Cake
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked over for stems
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest (2 oranges)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1-1/8 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 extra large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 lb. (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
1. Preheat the oven to 325 deg.
2. Combine the cranberries, apple, orange zest, orange juice and 1 tsp cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs on medium high speed for 2 min. With the mixer on medium, add 1 cup of the granulated sugar, the butter, vanilla and sour cream, and beat just until combined. On slow speed, slowly add the flour and salt.
4. Pour the fruit mixture evenly into a 10 inch glass pie plate. Pour the batter over the fruit, covering ot completely. Combine the remaining 1 tbsp granulated sugar and 1/8 tsp cinnamon and sprinkle over the batter.
5. Bake for 55 to 60 min., until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean and the fruit is bubbling around the edges. Serve warm orat room temperature.