Caponata Spaghetti with Ricotta Salata
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 1 eggplant, chopped into small pieces
- 1 red onion, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 cubanelle pepper, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 8 ounces ricotta salata cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup shredded basil
Cook spaghetti. Drain; reserving a ladleful of the pasta cooking water. Return the pasta to the pot.
While the pasta is working, in a large, deep skillet, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant, onion, cubanelle pepper, celery, garlic and crushed red pepper; season wtih salt and pepper and stir well. Cover the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce and parsley and simmer over low heat until the pasta is ready.
Add the sauce to the pasta and toss, adding the reserved pasta cooking water as necessary to make a nice consistency. Toss well. Top with ricotta salata and basil.