New England Clam Chowder
Thick, rich, fattening and oh so good!
- 2 C. Russet Potatoes (peeled and cubed 1/2" X 1/2" pieces) (I do 3 cups)
- 1 Stick Butter
- 2 Tbsp. Diced Green Onion (bulb only)
- 1/4 C. Flour
- 2 Cans Minced Clams (6.5 oz, with juice) (I use 3 cans)
- 1 tsp. Salt (or to taste)
- 16 oz Half and Half
- 1/2 C. Whole Milk
- 1/3 C. Clam Juice
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 50mins
1. Place potatoes in saucepan and cover with water, cook on medium heat until tender. Remove potatoes from heat, drain and set aside.
2. In 2 quart saucepan on medium low heat melt butter, add diced onions, cook until onions are slightly clear in color. Add flour to butter and stir briskly. Mixture will start to thicken. Add half and half a little at a time while stirring briskly. Mixture will be creamy and will look like thick cream.
3. Place salt, clams and juice, potatoes, bottled clam juice and milk with mixture. On medium low temperature bring chowder to a slow boil. Turn temperature down to low and let chowder simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.