- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed (can use mild, spicy is better to use)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, to taste
- 1/2-1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or adjust to heat level, can use crushed chili flakes)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste, can use white salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 lb dry penne pasta (can use more or less if desired)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 12 ounces provolone cheese, grated (more if desired)
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from food.com
1 Set oven to 400 degrees F.
2 Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
3 Cook the pasta until just al dente (do not overcook); drain, do not rinse and immediately toss with 1-2 Tbsp oil to prevent sticking; set aside.
4 In a large fry pan, sauté the sausage, ground beef, onion, garlic, dried oregano and thyme, over med-high heat, until the sausage and the ground beef are brown, crumbling with a fork while cooking (about 6-7 minutes).
5 Add in the undrained tomatoes, tomato paste and the cayenne pepper; simmer for 5-6 minutes (breaking up tomatoes with the back of a spoon).
6 Add in the kidney beans, and heat through.
7 Season with salt and pepper.
8 Add in the cooked pasta, Parmesan cheese and parsley; toss to combine.
9 Transfer the mixture to a prepared baking dish.
10 Top with grated cheese.
11 Bake for 25 minutes, or until cheese melts and the mixture is hot and bubbly.