Yummy old-fashioned shortbread. Black walnuts are known for their robust flavor, but regular walnuts also work well.
- * 4 1/2 ounces black walnuts, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- * 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- * 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- * 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- * 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- * Salt
- * 2 tablespoons Demerara or turbinado sugar
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 115mins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toast nuts on a rimmed baking sheet until fragrant and golden, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
2. Beat butter and granulated sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Beat in orange zest. Reduce speed to low; add flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt, scraping down side of bowl as needed. Mix in walnuts.
3. Divide dough in half, and transfer each to an 8-inch square baking dish, pressing down until flat. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Prick lines into dough every inch with a fork. Bake until pale golden, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Sprinkle Demerara sugar over surface of each. Bake until sugar is set, about 5 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into 2-inch squares while warm. Transfer pans to wire racks, and let cool.