COUNTRY HARVEST STUFFING
- 4 C each 1-inch cubed French bread and prepared cornbread
- 4 T olive oil
- 1 T dried thyme
- 1 lb well-spiced turkey or sweet italian pork sausage, bulk or links broken into clumps
- 1 C chopped red onion
- 1 C chopped celery
- 1 T finely minced garlic
- 2 t dried sage
- 3/4 C dried cranberries
- 3/4 C chopped pecans
- 1/2 C pitted prunes, quartered
- 1 C chicken broth
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the bread cubes in a large bowl and toss with 2 T olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Spread the bread cubes on two baking sheets and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly toasted, shaking pans occasionally. Return to bowl.
2. Brown the sausage in a heavy pan over medium heat. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage to the bowl, discarding any fat. Place the remaining 2 T olive oil in the pan and saute the onions, celery, garlic, and sage over medium-heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until wilted, stirring often. Combine with the bread cubes, cranberries, pecans, and prunes.
3. Drizzle the broth over the mixture to moisten as desired, then toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Bake, covered with aluminum foil, in an oven-to-table dish at 350 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes. Serve from the dish.