Hearty Chicken Stew
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 32 oz. Nature's Promise Organic low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Nature's Promise white, brown, or wild rice
- 14 oz. can Nature's Promise diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1/4 cup diced ham or Canadian bacon
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp dried thyme (to taste)
- Ground black pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large soup pot or saucepan over medium-low heat.
Stir in the flour and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
Add onion, garlic, bell pepper, and celery and continue to cook for about 10 minutes until onion softens.
Slowly pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Add rice and reduce heat.
Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
Add tomatoes, chicken, ham (or bacon), and thyme and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with black pepper.