Apple juice from frozen concentrate is thicker than bottled apple juice so it makes a better coating for the granola. This helps it crisp in the oven without requiring much oil.
- non-stick cooking spray
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 3/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, raisins or other dried fruit, halved or chopped if large, optional
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 40mins
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly coat a 9 by 13 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Add oats, wheat germ, and walnuts, stirring to combine. Bake until oats are lightly toasted, about 25 minutes, stirring halfway through. Raise oven temp to 350 degrees.
2. In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, stir together apple juice, sugar and oil. Pour over oat mixture; stir to combine. Return to oven and bake until oats are crisp, about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
3. Cool in pan, about 25 minutes (toss with dried fruit if using). Transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid. Store, covered at room temperature for up to 1 month.