Mary Sharp's Favorite Chicken Casserole
Casserole freezes and stores well, however, it is better to omit the topping until casserole is defrosted as additional broth should be added before baking.
- 2 cups stewed chicken or turkey, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups cooked rice, cooked in broth
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, diced
- 4 tsp. lemon juice
- chicken broth, reserved or canned
- 1 small jar pimento
- 1 small pkg, slivered almonds
- 1 small pkg. Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Dressing
- 2 T. margarine, melted
Mix soup, lemon juice and mayonnaise. Add chicken. Fold in rice and eggs, blend until well combined. Add additional chicken broth until mixture is quite soft. Add pimento. Place in a buttered 9x13x2 pan. Prepare topping: crush bread dressing crumbs slightly and combine with the margarine and almonds. Spread on top of chicken mixture in casserole. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 to 60 minutes or until bubbly and nicely browned. Cover loosely with foil if browning too much.