Braised Green Beans & Summer Vegetables
When green beans, summer squash and cherry tomatoes are plentiful in backyard gardens and farmers' markets, try this quick braise. We like the salty, nutty flavor of Parmesan, but you can use any flavorful cheese.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano , or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 cup white wine , or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 medium summer squash , or zucchini, halved and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes , or grape tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
1.Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and oregano and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add wine (or broth) and bring to a boil. Add green beans, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add summer squash (or zucchini) and tomatoes and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan.
NutritionPer serving: 92 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 158 mg sodium; 290 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetables, 1/2 fat