red velvet whoopie pies
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- White baking chips and additional chopped semisweet chocolate, melted
- Finely chopped pecans
In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, sour cream, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in melted chocolate.
Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies, about 1 tablespoon on each. Top with remaining cookies. Drizzle with melted baking chips and chocolate; sprinkle with nuts. Store in the refrigerator.