Open-Face Grilled Eggplant Sandwiches
From Food & Wine
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices of peasant bread
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 2 1/4-pound eggplant, sliced crosswise 1 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 pound(s) buffalo mozzarella, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 8 large basil leaves, torn
- Coarse sea salt
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from delish.com
1.Light a grill. Brush the bread on both sides with olive oil and grill over high heat until crisp on the outside but still soft inside, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer to a platter.
2.Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat until charred on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Turn and grill until tender, about 3 minutes longer.
3.Top the eggplant with the tomato, mozzarella, and basil. Cover the grill and cook until the cheese melts, 2 minutes. Transfer the eggplant to the bread, sprinkle with sea salt, and serve.