Saffron Baked Fish
This Spanish recipe uses typical ingredients for cooking fish Galician style and comes from "La Cocina de Mama".
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds fish fillets (cod works well)
- Kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 5 Tbls. oil
- 1 pound baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8 in. slices
- 2 cups finely chopped sweet onions
- Scant 1/4 tsp. crumbled saffon threads (be very careful not to use too much of this--too much will leave your dish tasting very bitter!)
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 2 Tbls. minced parsley
Adapted from latienda.com
Sprinkle fish fillets with salt and arrange in a flat bottomed bowl or pie plate.
Pour on the lemon juice and let sit.
Heat 3 Tbls. of the oil in an ovenproof pan, add the potatoes in layers, and sprinkle each layer with salt. Be careful not to oversalt.
Turn the potatoes to coat with the oil and saute over medium heat for 2 minutes.
Sitr in the onions, 1/8 tsp. of the safron, and1/4 tsp. of the paprika. Saute for 2 minutes more.
Cover and cook over medium-low heat until the potatores are almost tender, 15- to 20 minutes, lifting and turning the potatoes occasionally.
Preheat over to 375 degrees.
Drain the fish and arrange over the potatoes. Drizzle the remaining 2 Tbls. of oil over the fish and sprinkle with salt and remaining 1/8 of the saffron and 1/4 tsp. of paprika.
Bake for about 15 minutes until fish is just heated through and flakes easily with a fork.
You can bring the fish to the table in the pan or transfer it to dinner plates and arrange the potatoes around it. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve.