Creamy Cannellini Bean Soup
- 5 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups rinsed drained canned cannellini (white kidney) beans
- 1 TB olive oil
- 12 baby carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 TB finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Puree the broth and beans in batches in a blender; set aside in a large bowl.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add the carrots, onion, bell pepper, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp tender, about 5 minutes. Add the cumin and cook, stirring, until just fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the bean mixture, the lemon juice, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the carrots are completely tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the parsley.
Per serving (1 1/4 cups): 271 cal, 7 g fat, 1 g sat fat, 0 mg chol, 1114 mg sod, 39 g carb, 10 g fiber, 14 g protein, 101 mg calcium.