Indonesian Satay Platter
Add crisp vegetables such as endive spears, and carrot and celery sticks to this rich appetizer platter. Most commercial peanut butters are sweet enough that you won’t need to add brown sugar to the satay sauce.
- CHICKEN SKEWERS
- 11/2 lbs (750 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) each soy sauce, peanut oil and lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sambal oelek or other Asian hot sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each ground coriander and cumin
- 24 short wooden skewers
- SATAY DIPPING SAUCE
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 cup (250 mL) crunchy or smooth peanut butter
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sambal oelek or other Asian hot sauce
- 11/2 cups (375 mL) low-sodium chicken stock
- Brown sugar to taste (optional)
- Thai basil or coriander leaves, and finely chopped sweet red pepper, for garnish
1 For chicken skewers, cut chicken breasts lengthwise into thin strips. In a large shallow nonreactive dish, whisk together soy sauce, peanut oil, lime juice, garlic, sambal oelek, ginger, coriander and cumin. Add chicken, stirring to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
2 For satay dipping sauce, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes, until softened but not brown. Stir in garlic and cumin. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Reduce heat to low. Stir in peanut butter, lime juice, soy sauce and sambal oelek. Whisk in stock until mixture is smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, until sauce is smooth and heated through (if sauce separates, just keep whisking until smooth). Taste and add a little sugar if necessary. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3 An hour before cooking, soak skewers in a bowl of water. Remove chicken strips from marinade and thread onto skewers, ruffling chicken accordion-style and dividing evenly among skewers. Position broiler pan 4 inches (10 cm) from broiler. Preheat broiler to high. Arrange half of chicken skewers on rack in broiler pan. Broil for 6 to 8 minutes, turning 2 or 3 times, until browned and chicken is no longer pink inside. Repeat with remaining chicken skewers.
4 Just before serving, reheat dipping sauce over low heat, whisking constantly. Pour dipping sauce into a 3-cup (750-mL) heatproof bowl set on a platter. Arrange chicken skewers on platter. Scatter chicken with Thai basil leaves and chopped red pepper.