2009 Fish Tacos
1 taco equals 196 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 303 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Fish Tacos in Healthy Cooking April/May 2008, p26
- 3/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 tilapia fillets (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each white pepper, cayenne pepper and paprika
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
Place the sour cream, chilies, cilantro and lime juice in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Set aside.
Cut each tilapia fillet lengthwise into two portions. Place the flour, egg white and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip tilapia in flour, then egg white, then crumbs.
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook tilapia in oil in batches for 4-5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Combine the seasonings; sprinkle over fish.
Place a portion of fish on each tortilla; top with about 2 tablespoons of sour cream mixture. Sprinkle with tomato. Yield: 8 servings.
You'll also love
- Lemony Ricotta Summer Squash... 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Mom's Eggplant Parm 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Vietnamese BBQ Shrimp Vermicelli... 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Scalloped Potatoes 4/5 (68 Votes)
- The Joy of Cooking Tuna Noodle... 4.2/5 (38 Votes)
Review this recipe