Chickpea and Swiss Chard Curry
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp finely minced gingerroot
- 2 tsp finely minced garlic
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp garam masala, (optional)
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 1 cup chopped whole canned tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chopped Swiss chard leaves
In saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook cumin seeds until beginning to pop, about 1 minute. Add onion and chilies; cook until translucent, about 10 minutes.
Add ginger and garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add ground cumin and coriander; cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add garam masala (if using); cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste, cayenne pepper and turmeric; cook for 1 minute.
Add tomatoes and salt; cook, stirring, until softened. Stir in 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) water; bring to boil. Add chickpeas; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in Swiss chard; simmer until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.