Rice appe is a quick to make & a very popular south Indian breakfast .
- To serve:
- 1 cup rice
- 1/4 cup urad dal
- 4 cup crushed peanuts
- 2 tbsp chopped onions
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 green chilies chopped
- 8-10 curry leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
- Coconut chutney
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from shobhapink.blogspot.in
1. Wash & soak the rice, urad dal in lukewarm water for at least 4-5 hours.
2. Drain & grind to a smooth paste with 1/2 cup of water.
3. Cover & set aside overnight to ferment.
4. Next day, heat the oil in a small kadhai, add the crushed peanuts &
chopped onion & stir for 3-5 minutes.
5. Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, green chilies, curry leaves &
6. When the mustard & cumin seeds crackle, add this to the fermented
7. Add salt, little water if required & mix to form a thick batter.
8. Heat the appe mould on a medium flame & grease it with a little oil.
Pour a spoonful of the batter into each mould.
9. Cook till the outer surface becomes golden brown & then turn each appe
upside down using a fork so as to cook the other side.
10. Remove & repeat with the remaining batter.
11. Serve hot with coconut chutney.