Quinoa Fied "Rice"
- 1 cup quinoa (or 2 1/2 to 3 cups leftover cooked quinoa)
- 1 1/2 cups water or low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 small onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped and divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 eggs, lightly scrambled (still raw)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon sesame oil
Adapted from cookingforkeeps.com
Rinse quinoa a few times in cold water.
Bring quinoa and water or chicken stock to a boil in a medium saucepan, and then reduce to a simmer. Season with salt.
Simmer for 15-20 minutes until quinoa is fluffy and cooked through. Remove from heat and let set for five minutes or so. Fluff with a fork.
Cool and store in the fridge, preferably overnight.
Mix teriyaki, soy sauce, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
Heat ½ tablespoon olive oil in a large sauté pan over a high heat. Add onion and carrot, cook about two minutes. Add 2 scallions, garlic and ginger to the pan. Cook another two minutes. Add in the rest of the olive oil and the quinoa. Stir-fry about two minutes. Add sauce and stir-fry until incorporated, about two minutes. Make a well in the center of the quinoa pour eggs in, scramble. Throw in peas, then toss everything together until the peas are warmed through, add remaining scallion and serve.