French Onion Soup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound onion, halved and thinly sliced*
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups Swanson® Beef Broth (regular, Lower Sodium or Certified Organic)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or vermouth
- 4 slices French bread, toasted**
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1.Heat oil in saucepot. Add onions. Cover and cook over low heat 15 minutes. Uncover.
2.Add sugar and cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until onions are golden.
3.Add flour and cook and stir 1 minute. Add broth and wine. Heat to a boil. Cook over low heat 10 minutes.
4.Divide soup among 4 bowls. Top each with bread and cheese.