Smothered Potatoes With Smoked Sausage
- 2 and 1/2 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled
- 1 pound heavy smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup bacon fat or vegetable oil
- 2 cups diced red onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced fresh rosemary leaves
- salt and black pepper to taste
- granulated garlic to taste
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup minced parsley
Preheat oven to 375F.
Dice potatoes into 1 and 1/2-inch cubes and place in cold water to keep from turning brown.
Drain potatoes and place in saucepot along with chicken stock.
Season lightly using salt, pepper and granulated garlic.
Bring potatoes to a rolling boil, reduce to simmer and cook 10–12 minutes.
Do not over cook because potatoes will be roasted.
Drain potatoes well, reserving 2 cups of the chicken stock.
In a 12-inch cast iron skillet or Dutch oven, heat bacon fat over medium-high heat.
Add sausage and saute 7–8 minutes or until lightly browned and fat is rendered.
Add onions, celery, bell peppers and sliced garlic, blend well and saute 3–5 minutes or until vegetables are wilted.
Add potatoes and rosemary and stir to incorporate ingredients.
Adjust seasonings with salt, black pepper and granulated garlic.
Add 1–1 and 1/2 cups of chicken stock and bring to a boil.
Stir once and place into preheated oven 15–20 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown and tender.
Add green onions and parsley and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
You'll also love
- Roasted Red Potatoes with Bacon,... 4.3/5 (180 Votes)
- Hillbilly Berry Cobbler 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Seafood Bisque 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Sausage... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- lite blackberry cobbler 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Michael Symon's Grilled Onion... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- No Potato Beef Stew 0/5 (0 Votes)
- (Crockpot) Michigan Beans and... 0/5 (0 Votes)