- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 fire roasted red pepper, diced
- olive oil, for sauteing
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 + 1/4 pounds ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 + 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
Adapted from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com
Heat a skillet with enough oil to cover bottom of pan over medium-low heat, add onion and pepper, saute until tender. Add garlic, saute until fragrant; add tomato and Italian seasoning, saute 3-4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl whisk together egg, 1/3 cup tomato sauce and Worcestershire. Add ground meat, bread crumbs, black pepper, Parmesan and sauteed vegetables. Combine with a fork; mix in 1 cup of mozzarella.
In a large, greased roasting pan form the meat into a loaf. Spread the remaining 1/2 cup sauce over top and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella. Bake about 45 minutes or until no longer pink in the middle. Let set five minutes before serving.
Read more: http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/italian-meatloaf/#ixzz2ZMB3Jih0