Sweet and Smoky Barbecue Beans
Recipe Source: Bon Appetit - July 1998
- 1 bacon slice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans), rinsed, drained
- 1 15- to 16-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 15- to 16-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed, drained
1. Cook bacon in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels. Chop bacon; reserve. Pour off all but 2 teaspoons drippings from skillet.
2. Heat drippings in same skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; stir 1 minute. Add tomato sauce, 1 cup water, sugar, molasses, vinegar and mustard and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in all beans and bacon and bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors. Uncover and simmer until mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.