Houlihan's Baked Potato Soup
- 1/2 lbs. baking potatoes
- shopping list
- 1/4 lb. butter shopping list
- 2 C. yellow onion -- diced shopping list
- 1/3 C. flour shopping list
- 5 C. water shopping list
- 1/4 C. low sodium chicken base shopping list
- 1 C. instant potato flakes shopping list
- 3/4 tsp. dried basil shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce shopping list
- 1 C. heavy cream shopping list
- 1 C. milk shopping list
- salt -- to taste shopping list
- white pepper -- to taste shopping list
Preheat oven to 400.
Prick washed potatoes & bake until a fork pierces to the center easily.
Remove potatoes from oven & allow to fully cool.
Remove skin & cut potatoes into 1/2" cubes. Set aside.
Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onions & sauté over low heat for 10 minutes or until onions are translucent. Don't allow onions to burn.
Add flour to onions & butter and cook 4 - 5 minutes, stirring well until flour is absorbed.
In a separate container, combine water, chicken base, potato flakes & seasonings. Stir or whisk thoroughly to eliminate lumps.
Add slowly to onion mixture, stirring constantly so no lumps form.
Increase to medium heat & continue cooking until the soup begins to gently simmer.
Add milk & cream, stirring until smooth & lightly thickened. Simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil. Soup should just simmer lightly.
Add cubed baked potatoes & Stir to combine.
Remove from heat & serve.
Top each serving with grated Cheddar cheese, sliced scallions & bacon pieces