Buttermilk Cake with Blackberries
- 4 TBS unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup plus 1 1/2 TBS sugar, divided
- 1 lrg egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups blackberries, plus more for serving
- Sweetened whipped cream for serving
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 9" round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Buter the parchment.
2) In a small bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a lrg bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter with 2/3 cup of the sugar at med-high speed until fluffy, about 3 mins. Beat in the egg and vanilla. At low speed, beat in the buttermilk and dry ingredients in 3 alternating batches, ending with the dry ingredients; do not overbeat. Gently fold the batter just until blended, then scrape into the pan; smooth the top.
3) Scatter the blackberries over the batter; lightly press them in. Sprinkle the remaining 1 1/2 TBS sugar over the cake. Bake for 30 mins, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
4) Transfer the cake to a rack to cool for 10 mins in the pan, then turn out the cake and remove the paper. Turn the cake right side up and let cool completely. Serve the buttermilk cake with whipped cream and more blackberries.