Ginger Honey Cornbread
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1-¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- ¼ cup ginger honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-½ tablespoons candied ginger
- ½ cup root beer
- 1 cup milk
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ¼ cup olive oil
Adapted from phamfatale.com
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
When the temperature has reached 400°F, place a 9"-pre-seasoned cast iron skillet in the oven and heat it while preparing the cornbread batter.
In a bowl, combine the flour, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sift the dry ingredients.
Using an electric mixer, whisk the eggs with granulated sugar until you get a pale, yellow foam. Add the grated ginger, ginger honey and root beer. Using a wooden spatula, continuously stir while adding the dry ingredient mix, corn meal, butter, 1 tablespoon of candied ginger, milk, brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of oil. Stir well until smooth and wet. Do NOT over-mix for a light result.
Open the oven and remove the skillet. Immediately brush the hot skillet with 2 tablespoons of oil, greasing the inside.
Transfer the cornbread batter into the hot skillet. Bake for about 10 minutes at 375°F, then lower the heat to 350°F for another 20 minutes. Open the oven; sprinkle with the remaining candied ginger, rotate the skillet for a homogenous result and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. A skewer or a toothpick inserted into the cornbread should come out clean. Remove from the oven. Allow to cool. Flip out the cornbread, then transfer to a cooling rack.
You'll also love
- Insane Oven Beef Ribs 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Broccoli and Pearl Onion Casserole 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cranberry Jello 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Zucchini Bread (or muffins) –... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Laura Bush's Corn Bread Dressing 0/5 (0 Votes)
Review this recipe