Grilled Pizza with Fontina, Cherry Tomatoes
- 6 ounces Pizza Dough
- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil, for brushing and drizzling
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups shredded Fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 containers cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Pizza Toppings: Grilled and raw vegetables, prosciutto
- strips, sausage, pepperoni, pesto, pineapple, basil leaves,
- fresh Mozzarella cheese, crumbled goat cheese, red pepper flakes, fresh basil leaves
Fire up your outdoor grill or stove-top grill to medium-high. In a mixing
bowl combine the shredded mozzarella and Fontina.
Cut the pizza dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each ball of dough flat on
a floured work surface. By hand, stretch each ball of dough into a 5-inch
round, as thin as possible. Layer the floured pizza crusts on a cookie sheet, in between layers of parchment paper until ready to use.
Brush the top side of the dough rounds with olive oil. When the fire is hot (when you can hold your hand over the coals for 3 to 4 seconds at a distance of 5 inches), drape the dough onto the grill. Within a minute the dough will puff slightly, the underside will stiffen, and grill marks will appear. Using tongs, immediately flip the crust over, onto the coolest part of the grill. Brush the grilled surface with olive oil. Scatter the garlic and cheeses over the dough and top with cherry tomato halves and yor toppings of choice.
Using tongs, rotate the pizza frequently so that different sections receive high heat; check the underside often to see that it is not burning. The pizza is done when the top is bubbly and the cheese melted, about 6 minutes. Serve at once, topped with the basil leaves.
Makes 8 Individual Pizzas