Turkey Cutlet and Parmesan Salad
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 lb turkey cutlets (1/4 inch thick)
- 10 to 12 oz mesclun or mixed baby salad greens (16 to 18 cups loosely packed)
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano shavings (from a 1/4-lb piece), removed with a vegetable peeler
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 35mins
Whisk together vinegar, shallot, sugar, mustard, salt, and pepper, then add 1/2 cup oil in a stream, whisking until emulsified.
Put turkey in a large shallow baking dish and pour 1/4 cup vinaigrette over it, turning to coat. Marinate at room temperature, turning occasionally, 10 minutes. Remove from marinade and pat dry (discard used marinade).
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until just smoking, then sauté half of cutlets (without crowding), turning over once, until browned and just cooked through, about 4 minutes total. Transfer as cooked to a cutting board and keep warm, loosely covered with foil. Cook remaining cutlets in remaining tablespoon oil in same manner.
Slice cutlets along the grain into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
Toss greens with some of remaining vinaigrette and any juices accumulated on cutting board until well coated. Divide greens among 4 plates and top with turkey strips and cheese shavings.